Berean Blog

Random thoughts from a Doulos Theos (servant of God)

Name:
Location: Rocky Point, North Carolina, United States

Monday, September 05, 2005

Happy Labor Day! Our house is a flurry of liveliness – strange, isn’t it, how a day off from working can translate into additional activities?


Last night, we helped the Arrows make individual to-do lists for today, and with some minor prodding, they have embarked upon their collective missions.


For my part, I wrote my lesson outline and handout for this Wednesday night’s lesson, and installed a printer on Dee’s computer. In sheer exhaustion from my monumental effort, I collapsed and sought refuge in a bit of mental emptying in this missal.


Before the Arrows awoke, Dee and I enjoyed a few quiet moments, relishing some music and sipping coffee. Those moments are far between, so the opportunities are, without a doubt, carpe diem events.


Perhaps we should have foregone the coffee; I heard from a coworker last week that coffee could lead to criminal behavior. She received that tidbit from one of our field representatives, who heard it in one of their college classes. Red flag! Not only was it third-hand information, but its acknowledged source was a local college professor.

I am certain that we have a small number of professional, unbiased, knowledgeable professors in our local institutions of higher learning. I am merely unaware of any of them, save Doctor Mike Adams. With that in mind, I decided to research this particular nugget of "truth". As so wisely stated by one of my modern heroes of the faith, Chuck Missler, "If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything."

As it turns out, it does seem to have a minor basis in truth, but either our coworker heard incorrectly, or it was presented erroneously.

My initial refutation of the presentation in question held; without getting into too much (and potentially offensive) detail, when I mentally cross-reference our national prison population with the average clientele of Starbucks, it simply does not compute. I confess my ignorance in higher–level criminology (perhaps I should consult Dr. Adams), but from a novice perspective, I think we may be barking up the proverbial tree – except in a different forest altogether.


Not all on the work front is arduous. We have received our perennial visit from a lone Argiope Aurantia (if you ain’t as edumacated as me, that’s a writing spider, or a banana spider).

Normally, our visitors spin their webs in a less than ideal location, and consequently last little more than a few days, but this year’s pilgrim has made a more sagacious choice of real estate, and has now lingered for two weeks. She has grown quite rapidly, and I’ll try to get a photo or two to increase her posterity among the global audience of this site.


While I’m on the subject of posterity, I was saddened this weekend by the passing of a great conservative mind. Chief Justice William Rehnquist will be greatly missed by all of us who hold the Constitution dear (although it would seem that our company is dwindling among Western society).

I once read a definition of an American as "someone who will vociferously argue the Constitution, a document that he has never read". While that may evoke a wry chuckle, it is truer than many of us would like to admit.

Even with that in mind, I cannot fathom what our President is thinking by nominating John Roberts for Chief Justice. Bush is shrewder than his critics imagine, so I am positive that the nomination has political ramifications that are too nuanced for me to readily grasp. Nonetheless, I believe that this is one fight that should not have been shirked. My personal preference and expectation was Clarence Thomas, but alas, George wouldn’t return my phone calls. (Just kidding on that last part)


I have another update on my favorite "religion of peace". This is without a doubt taking the extremity (pardon the pun) of spiting one’s face.


I have now successfully avoided the mainstream of movement at our abode long enough. I should, I suppose, sally forth back into the fray.


Have a wonderful day, beloved – and I sincerely hope you didn’t put too much Labor into your Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home