Berean Blog

Random thoughts from a Doulos Theos (servant of God)

Name:
Location: Rocky Point, North Carolina, United States

Thursday, August 18, 2005

My apologies for not posting yesterday. With it being the official deadline for the Gaza withdrawal, I was in no mood to be light-hearted or jovial.
The entire situation is so tragic. I think what bothers me the most is the total lack of acknowledgement from the Bush administration that anything is even happening.
Now, I don't fault the president for taking vacation - he's certainly as entitled to some time off as the rest of us, if not more so. But there's just something about W. relaxing at home while Gaza settlers are being dragged from theirs that bothers me. It's largely American pressure that led to Sharon's suicidal policy of "disengagement" in the first place, and while it's being ruthlessly carried out, we hear nothing from our administration. It's just so, well, sleazy.
There are a number of sites for information on the conflict; I highly recommend this one. Definitely watch the videos, particularly "A Moment Before". To think of the knesset viewing this video, then voting for "disengagement" anyway, is heart-breaking.

On a lighter note, I mentioned the new Michael W. Smith album before. In all actuality, it's not his CD, just his songs.
Wilmington has a good radio station, but for some reason, I can't get radio reception in my office, so I listen to an excellent Internet station. I won the CD from the House, which was an early copy. I don't know if this has been caught yet, but two of the tracks are in reverse order from the listing on the CD cover. Is that not bizarre? Does that mean future releases of this album will be corrected, and I have a collector's item in my possession?

It reminded me of a similar situation in 1986, when I was stationed in 29 Palms. I had been a big fan of Boston for awhile (the band, although I loved the city too, when I visited), so I was eagerly awaiting the release of their new album, Third Stage. I walked to the exchange on the release day to buy the tape, anxiously walked back to my barracks and plugged it into my player.
Pushing play, I breathlessly awaited the melodic stylings to which I was accustomed. After a few long seconds, the player shut off. I thought, in my excitement, I must have put it in backwards. I flipped it over and pushed play again. Same result. I took the tape out and looked at carefully, discovering that the cassette had no tape!
I took it back to the exchange the next day, anticipating a skeptical response at best. After voicing my concern, the clerk wearily pointed to a display of the tapes and told me to pick out a new one. The only thing I could surmise was that the entire batch must have been defective.

I have an interesting exchange from a convenience store to relate, but I'll save it for tomorrow. Happy Friday Eve, and blessings to all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home