Berean Blog

Random thoughts from a Doulos Theos (servant of God)

Name:
Location: Rocky Point, North Carolina, United States

Saturday, August 13, 2005

Two Kinds of Faith?

I've been thinking about the fact that Christians can accept Christ through faith, but then struggle with the faith that accompanies a victorious Christian life. Why is that? Why can we trust God for our eternal destiny, but not with our daily existence?

Is it that saving faith is the least amount of faith we'll ever need? I thought that at first, but let's look at that concept.

To be saved by faith in Christ, I have to accept the existence of someone Whom I've never met. That's not difficult; I accept the existence of George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, etc. To go further back in history, I certainly accept the existence of Mohammed, Buddha, and Confucius. So in that aspect alone, saving faith is not difficult.
However, I also must accept the fact that this historical Person had always existed as part of the Godhead, willingly took human form, performed miracles that defy all contemporary (and modern) abilities, died a sinless death, and rose from the dead, and is still alive, and coming back to earth! That is a mind-boggling collection of facts to accept!

Contrast that with trusting God to provide my daily needs when I have a track record with Him, and His provision in similar situations in the past. Which is the greater faith??
With that in mind, I went to the Scriptures to reconcile the two types of faith. A pattern emerges: sanctifying faith is up to us, but saving faith is from God. If true, then not only do we have full assurance of salvation, but it should alter the way we pray for the salvation of those in our lives who are without Christ!


Introduction

Before I begin, please consider:

Jam 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

If salvation is a gift (Rom. 6:23), then we can establish that we have nothing to do with it.

Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.

Even Jesus Christ Himself said:
Joh 5:30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

With that in mind, let me begin.


One Definition, Two Distinctions

The word "faith" is found 245 times in 299 verses of the New Testament (KJV). Part of the difficulty lies in the fact that, with six exceptions, they are all translated from the same Greek word, pistis ("persuasion, that is, credence; moral conviction [of religious truth, or the truthfulness of God or a religious teacher], especially reliance upon Christ for salvation; abstractly constancy in such profession; by extension the system of religious [Gospel] truth itself"). So, even in the definition, we see a hint at two distinctions.


Sanctifying Faith

Sanctifying faith involves our daily walk and what should be our goal: cooperating with the Holy Spirit and His work of transforming us into the image of Christ (Rom. 12:1-2). Aside from Galatians 3 and James 2, which are entire chapters on the subject, consider the following:

Eph 1:15 Wherefore I also, after I heard of your faith in the Lord Jesus, and love unto all the saints,

Col 2:6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

1Th 1:2 We give thanks to God always for you all, making mention of you in our prayers;
1Th 1:3 Remembering without ceasing your work of faith, and labour of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ, in the sight of God and our Father;

1Th 3:5 For this cause, when I could no longer forbear, I sent to know your faith, lest by some means the tempter have tempted you, and our labour be in vain.
1Th 3:6 But now when Timotheus came from you unto us, and brought us good tidings of your faith and charity, and that ye have good remembrance of us always, desiring greatly to see us, as we also to see you:
1Th 3:7 Therefore, brethren, we were comforted over you in all our affliction and distress by your faith:
1Th 3:8 For now we live, if ye stand fast in the Lord.
1Th 3:9 For what thanks can we render to God again for you, for all the joy wherewith we joy for your sakes before our God;
1Th 3:10 Night and day praying exceedingly that we might see your face, and might perfect that which is lacking in your faith?

2Th 1:3 We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth;

1Ti 1:19 Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away concerning faith have made shipwreck:

1Ti 4:1 Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

1Ti 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

2Ti 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:

Phm 1:5 Hearing of thy love and faith, which thou hast toward the Lord Jesus, and toward all saints;
Phm 1:6 That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

1Pe 1:7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ:

2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

Jud 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Rev 2:19 I know thy works, and charity, and service, and faith, and thy patience, and thy works; and the last to be more than the first.


All the above passages seem to speak of a faith that is our possession and struggle, one that is tenuous at best, that can be strengthened or even lost. This certainly doesn't sound like one that is firm or sure, nor one that speaks of eternal assurance.

Phi 3:9 And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:

Heb 12:2 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.


Saving Faith

These seem to demonstrate a seperate faith, that of Christ, as opposed to that in Christ. The "of" in Philippians 3:9 is translated from ek, or ex ("Origin", or "out of"). I see a faith prior to sanctifying faith, that of saving faith. This seems to be borne up by the following:

Gal 2:16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.
Gal 2:17 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid.
Gal 2:18 For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.
Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God.
Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
(I've always heard this applied to salvation being a gift of God, but look carefully - what is the gift of God? Grace? Or faith?)

Eph 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
Eph 3:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,
Eph 3:11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:
Eph 3:12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him.
-----
Rev 2:13 (Christ says) I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
(Faith of Whom? Whose faith?)

Eph 4:3 Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.
-----
Tit 1:4 To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.
(How can we be in one, common faith? For seperate individuals at seperate stages of sanctification, this would be impossible!)

1Ti 1:12 And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
1Ti 1:13 Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
1Ti 1:14 And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
-----
1Ti 3:13 For they that have used the office of a deacon well purchase to themselves a good degree, and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.
(The word in is from "en", which carries a connotation of a fixed position. How can a faith that is a struggle be fixed?)

1Jo 5:4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.
(Because greater is He that is in me, than he that is in the world, and it's His faith!)

Here's an attention-getting verse:
Heb 4:2 For unto us was the gospel preached, as well as unto them: but the word preached did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in them that heard it.
That verse alone would seem to indicate that faith is not an indidual's prerogative or whim.

(What does this speak to the Scriptural basis of Calvinism? That's another topic though, isn't it?)
In summary, it would seem that our faith as individuals is too puny and unstable to sustain the kind of faith needed for salvation and quickening of our spirits that takes place at salvation. It would seem that God chooses to impute the faith of Christ upon willing (or predestined?) indivduals.



Summary

This means that (thankfully), faith unto salvation is not of us, else we lose it. It also means that I've been praying for the salvation of lost loved ones less effectually than I could. I need to be petitioning Abba Father, not for their choice alone, but for Christ's faith to be imparted unto them.

2Th 3:1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may have free course, and be glorified, even as it is with you:
2Th 3:2 And that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men: for all men have not faith.


That is my thesis. What are your thoughts???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home