Berean Blog

Random thoughts from a Doulos Theos (servant of God)

Name:
Location: Rocky Point, North Carolina, United States

Saturday, December 31, 2005

Here it is, the final day of 2005. At the risk of sounding cliche, the year has gone by almost too quickly. At the same time, it's also a relief that it's behind us now. Bittersweet...


I'm as restless as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs today, and can't quite isolate the reason. I think part of it is the fact that the three oldest Arrows are not only out of the house, but out of state.
They're attending a teen worship gathering in Northwestern Alabama; they left before sunrise on Thursday, and won't be back until tomorrow afternoon. I miss them like only an old Papa-bear can.


In the meantime, we have the twins for entertainment. As we sit here, and Dee is having them try on winter clothes (yes, it's finally cold weather here on the coast), we've been listening to Paul Wilbur on the new stereo my dear Rib got me for my birthday. As the three CD's just finished, I interrupted this post to take requests from Dee.

One of her requests (as not-so-subliminally suggested by Josh) was a CD we gave the Arrows for Christmas, Music Inspired by the Chronicles of Narnia. As I began searching the CD rack for it (which at one point was alphabetized) with no success, I was informed (by the true requester of same) that it "should be on the rack". That means as much to me as "a Republican-controlled government should be smaller" -- in other words, roll the dice, buddy!

After a brief and fruitless search of the area by the man of the house, he proceeded to walk over to the rack and immediately pick it out, with a triumphant, "Here it is!". As I surveyed the vacancy from which it came, I realized my filing error (remember, I was searching alphabetically). As I retorted, "Oh, I should have looked for it between Stuart Little and Luther Vandross!" Priceless...


So, we have an election year encroaching, and November will be upon us before we know it. In the interest of edu-ma-cating my beloved readers, I have included a new link in my Links column to the left.
Since it is quickly becoming time to think about organizing the links in some fashion, I'll spare you the trouble of ascertaining which link is new. It's a link to the national headquarters of the Constitution Party. If you are as tired of broken Republican promises as I was several years ago, you may want to familiarize yourself with this alternative.

I'm a little frustrated with the organization (or lack thereof) of our state's party, but at least the national platform is sound (and Biblical). Of course, they haven't had much of an opportunity to prove themselves faithful to that platform, but I'm looking forward to it.
Really, how could Christian conservatives do any worse than the Reflublicans? At least with the Demobrats, we can expect to be overlooked, but the GOP does it in spite of our support. Phooey on them (and you can quote me on that!).


The clan and I were watching Gettysburg a few nights ago; one of my all-time favorites (along with its prequel Gods and Generals, and most likely its soon-to-be-released sequel, Last Full Measure). Unlike movies like Glory, it is well-researched and actually historically accurate.

As a Civil War aficionado, I have difficulty wholeheartedly endorsing either side of that important conflict. I hasten to explain that remark, particularly since my ancestors were all Union, fighting in regiments from Ohio and Illinois.

From the Union perspective, I can appreciate the honorable effort to preserve the fragile experiment that was elected democracy, as well as end slavery (an abominable institution that almost split the confederacy of the thirteen colonies before they began as a nation).
However, from the Confederate side, I can also fully appreciate the intent to remain sovereign states, as the Founding Fathers intended. Bonnie Blue!

Anyway, we were discussing the battle at Gettysburg as the "High Water Mark of the Confederacy", and what a difference was made by the Union victory. The natural companion to that discussion is, of course, the results had there been a Confederate victory. That victory could arguably have predicated an ultimate end to the war.

I think what makes Gettysburg so intriguing is the near-myriad factors that (combined and/or by themselves) would have changed the outcome of the battle. For instance:

What if...

  • JEB Stuart had been available to provide reconnaissance for Lee's army?
  • Union General Buford had not had the foresight to seize and hold the high ground the first day?
  • Confederate General Heth had not ignored his orders to avoid fighting until Lee's army was fully in place?
  • Union General Reynolds had been delayed by weather and prevented Heth from destroying Buford?
  • Confederate General Ewell had followed Lee's desire (and General Trimble's zeal) to take Round Top before the Federals did?
  • Confederate General Longstreet had not allowed his hesitancy to attack without Pickett to delay his action on the second day?
  • Federal General Warren (not portrayed in the movie) had not realized the vulnerability of the Union left flank, leading to the posting of Col. Chamberlain's 20th Maine on Little Round Top?
  • Chamberlain had not invented the impromptu maneuver to repel a determined Confederate charge that might otherwise have prevailed?
  • Confederate General Hill's health (not portrayed in the movie) not confused troop selection to ensure fresher troops be used in the assault on the Union center?
  • Confederate Colonel Alexander's artillery had been able to provide the support that Longstreet desired for his assault on the Union center (an assault that almost succeeded)?
Any one of these could have allowed a Confederate victory over a timid General Meade (a timidity proven by his failure to pursue Lee across the Potomac, thereby prolonging the War). That was the topic of our family discussion -- what if the South had been permitted to maintain sovereignty as a separate nation??

The ramifications are immense, and I will undertake some of them in another posting.


Have a safe and blessed new year, dear saints. Until 2006, I bid you all farewell.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy!

Have a great New Year! Give hugs to the fam for me.

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home